Monday, December 15, 2008

Andes Mints

Apparently, Cathy had a bit of an "incident" when she ran to the grocery store to grab the extract for this recipe:

Sooooo, I ran out of peppermint extract making my mints. Hmmm. I tried calling a neighbor to borrow some, she wasn't home; so I ran to Pete's. All I could find was "Mint extract." Me being the cooking brainless twit that I am thought, "hmmmmm, they must have renamed it." I get home, open the extract, dump more into my mint recipe, and THEN . . . smelled it (should've done that first). ARGH!!!! It's SPEARMINT!!!!!! My poor mints. Needless to say, they will NOT be shared with nonfamily this year. :-(

Cathy is no "brainless twit." It was a grocery store/cooking mishap and it happens to us all. Please read my personal blog on my fruitcake massacre. Anyway here's Cathy's recipe for a chocolate/mint treat and how bad could that be?

These are absolutely delightful. HOWEVER, do not make the mistake of using "spearmint" extract instead of "peppermint" extract. They freeze very very nicely. Just take some out as needed.

1-12 oz pkg semisweet chocolate chips
1 cup white chips
1 can sweet condensed milk
2 tsp peppermint extract
green food coloring

Line 9 x 9 pan w/waxed paper.

Melt 1 cup sweet condensed milk and full bag of chocolate chips in microwave (I use the old fashioned way . . . stove top, BUT, be careful not to scald/burn).

Pour 1/2 of chocolate chips melted mixture in pan. Cool in freezer until set (15-20 min).

Melt 1 cup of white chips and the rest of the condensed milk (there won't be much). After chips are melted, add 2 tsp peppermint and food coloring (2-3 drops or as desired). [A side note, we used blue this year to shake things up. Next year, we're going to go for pink.] Spread over first layer. Cool in freezer until set (15-20 min).

Spread other 1/2 of chocolate chip mixture over green layer. Cool in freezer until set. Trim edges off with sharp heavy knife and cut into bite size pieces.

2 comments:

  1. I almost feel like even I could do that. And they sound yummy.

    Except I don't think I own a sharp heavy knife.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I just made these but wasn't paying attention and didn't leave any sweetened cond milk for the middle layer. They are perfectly fine. They just have a crunchy center.

    ReplyDelete