Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Caramel Chex Mix

While we're on the holiday treat theme, I thought I'd offer this one. It's not Cathy's, but it's not mine either. I got the recipe from our librarian Leslie R. several years ago. I often make a double batch right after Thanksgiving and it hardly ever makes it to Christmas. Chex cereal makes an excellent conduit for caramel. The pretzels, not so much, but they're in there anyway.

1 lb. butter or margarine
2 lb. light brown sugar
1 cu. white corn syrup
1 tsp. salt

Simmer all this for 5 minutes. It goes better if it's in a large pot. Remove from the heat and add:

2 tsp. almond extract

Then pour it over:
12 oz. Crispex
12 oz. Corn Chex
12 oz. Rice Chex
12 oz. stick pretzels (If you get the little holiday trees, there's more caramel.)
16 oz. almonds

Divide this into 2 paper bags and shake well. Microwave for 4.5 minutes. Stop and shake after every 1.5 minutes. Pour out and cool. I've found that parchment paper or Pam-ed wax paper works the best for cooling.

Vanilla extract and peanuts are also very tasty for those sisters (or others) who don't really do nuts.

1 comment:

  1. Hey! I think I've finally figured out how to "comment" on blogs! THIS recipe sounds yummily delightful. I have not gotten around to make it yet, but I will. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete